Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Symphonic Outing

I completely forgot that I was going to the symphony with my mom today. Oops! But we talk often enough that she reminded me yesterday. I had to rearrange some things, but it all worked out and we had a great time. Not only had I forgotten about it, but this particular show was a Sunday matinée instead of the regular 7:30 pm show, so I had to miss the Hawthorne Laughter Club as well. Note to self: The parking and traffic downtown is much worse on a Sunday at 1:30 pm versus 7 pm. It took almost 20 minutes to go three blocks to get into the parking structure! Luckily, we made it in the door before they closed them tight and started the performance.

We usually get a packet of tickets and go to 5 or 6 shows a season. Today's show had Sergei Prokofiev's Piano Concerto No. 1 performed by 23 year old Natasha Paremski and finished with Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony. Natasha nailed the concerto, which was written and premiered by Prokofiev when he was only 21. Guest conductor, Michael Francis, was filling in on the spur of the moment as the other visiting conductor had to cancel. I loved this guy. He told us a little about the music and composer. I always like a conductor who chats a bit prior to the performance. This is one of the reasons I love Jeff Tyzik and the Pops performances so much. Bonus: Michael was funny.

In Portland, you can wear pretty much whatever you want anywhere, even to the symphony, but we always dress up a little. I see it as one of my few opportunities and hate to waste it! This is what I wore today:

Asian Mandarin Collar Jacket - thrift find; Black slacks - Gap Boy Fit Trousers



This jacket is one of my recent awesome thrift finds. It was only $8 and is completely reversible. The white side could use a little spot dry cleaning care, but is actually in good shape. I have always loved the style of Asian inspired clothing: mandarin collars, frog buttons and the fabric. Prior to the 30 for 30 I am not sure that I would have worn this, but I promised myself no more buying things I love and leaving them in the closet to be admired by myself alone! I am looking forward to wearing the white side during the holidays. Maybe even with my red velvet pants!

We finished off with dinner at Pastini Pastaria on NE Broadway. I was so excited when I discovered that they have gluten free options and this was my first opportunity to try it out. Not only do they have gluten free pasta upon request, but they have a gluten free tiramisu dessert and they use as many local ingredients as they can. I had zitti gluten free pasta with broccolini and arrugula, cherry tomatoes, lemon, herbs and parmesan, topped with toasted hazelnuts. Yum! 

1 comment: