Friday, January 28, 2011

Taking the Plunge

I discovered Kendi Everyday's blog a day or two after the Fall 30 for 30 Remix began. It became a small obsession for me. I had been in a style-rut for a while and finally became feed up and started looking at some fashion blogs, but was not liking what I was seeing. Everything was very materialistic and not practical or down-to-earth. I discovered Kendi Everyday while on someone else's blog. Now I do not even remember how or who. After the discovery, I read it everyday, just like the name implies (amazing as she is, she does take weekend's off - which she deserves). I even started to tinker with the idea of doing my own 30 for 30 or a mini version at the beginning of December. I pulled up Excel and began brainstorming away, but a family illness, along with the normal holiday busy-ness distracted me a few days in. 



Andrea's Closet
Well, here is my chance! I didn't realize it at the time, but all of that time spent was not wasted. I was simply pre-planning to take part in the Winter 30 for 30 Remix without realizing it (follow the link to see what Kendi will be remixing). Wait! I can hear it. I have friends out there saying, "What is a Remix?" I'll try to explain in my own words, although Kendi, as the inventor and expert is much better at this ... So, you know (I just broke 2 Toastmaster rules right there!), you know how you have tons of clothes and nothing to wear half the time? Kendi has come to the rescue! (I am going to start calling her Super Kendi. I have a girl crush, can ya tell?) As a way to curb a shopping habit that she could no longer afford after getting married and moving to a small town and as a way to fall in love with the clothing she already owned, she developed a style challenge for herself that involves three simple steps. She blogged about it and the rest is her-story. Now style-bloggers from all over the online world are following along and blogging about their personal Remixes once a season, along side Super Kendi. The bonus was that she has also better honed her personal style, which is what I am hoping for over time.


What are the steps?

  1. Pick 30 items or less from your closet. Shoes are included, but accessories, jewelry, tights & socks are not.
  2. Remix the 30 items into 30 different outfits over 30 consecutive days.
  3. Do not shop for any clothing items during those 30 days.
You, of course, need to take into account your schedule for the month and your general lifestyle when you pick clothing. Do you need a nice dress for that special work function, clothing for "Girls Night Out"? Do you wear jeans almost every day? Kendi is a little more dressy than I and she lives in Texas, so the weather is often drier, if not warmer. 


* Tip: Outer-wear, like coats, do not count. Workout clothing is also exempt.


The Winter challenge begins on February 1st, so stay tuned for photos of my chosen 30.If you want more information dig through Kendi's blog or purchase her guide, The 30 for 30 Remix Workbook, for the rock-bottom, steal-of-a-deal for $4!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm doing this too! I'm definitely nervous though lol, GOOD LUCK!! :)

    - www.itsanewkate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I will be sure to check out your blog & follow your 30 for 30.

    ReplyDelete